Managed Service Provider – Disaster Recovery Services
Providing Managed Disaster Recovery Services for VMware Cloud on AWS
This reference architecture provides an overview of a fully managed DRaaS offering that VMware Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can build using VMware Cloud on AWS and VMware Site Recovery.
With VMware Site Recovery for VMC on AWS, MSP partners now have an asset light model that can be leveraged to provide DRaaS for a customer’s on-premises datacenter or for a vSphere hosted in a colocation Datacenter managed by the MSP partner.
- Configure Organizations and Deploy SDDC – The MSP partner creates the Master Organization, Tenant Organization and AWS SDDC,selecting an AWS region for preferred DR.
- IPSEC VPN Connectivity – The Provider configures the IPSEC configurations between On-premises and SDDC Management and Compute Gateways. A third IPSec VPN is configured for connectivity between Management & Compute Gateways via each gateway’s public IP. This will enable connectivity to Infrastructure services deployed in the SDDC (AD, DNS, etc.).
- L2VPN Connectivity – Optionally, the MSP partner can configure L2VPN between the locations to negate the need to re-IP virtual machines during a fail over event.
- Configure Firewall and Infrastructure Services – The appropriate ports are configured for vCenter, SRM and vRS as well as DNS configuration for the Management and gateway. To support workloads in the SDDC, infrastructure services (AD, DNS and any management tools) can be provisioned to the SDDC Compute Domain along with the requisite firewall configurations on Management gateway, Compute gateway and on-premises/hosted datacenter firewalls.
- Activate Site Recovery – Site Recovery is activated for the SDDC which will initiate the automated deployment of SRM and vSphere replication components in the SDDC.
- Deploy Site Recovery and vSphere Replication Components on Premises – The MSP partner will download, deploy and configure SRM and vRS in the On-premises/Hosted Datacenter environment.
- Link Site Recovery – MSP partner links the on premises Site Recovery instance with site recovery instance in the SDDC Management Domain. Configure Site Recovery – Once Site Recovery has been deployed in both locations, the partner can proceed with the creation of Protection Groups, Recovery Plans and replication settings for the virtual machines that will be protected with Site Recovery.
- Configure Site Recovery – Once Site Recovery has been deployed in both locations, the partner can proceed with the creation of Protection Groups, Recovery Plans and replication settings for the virtual machines that will be protected with Site Recovery.
Further supporting information: