VMware Cloud Director Availability Deployment Reference Architecture
This reference architecture details how a cloud provider can deploy VMware Cloud Director Availability on-premises.
VMware Cloud Director Availability 3.0 solution introduces a new and simplified product architecture for replication, disaster recovery and migration capabilities into a single product. With the service you can perform:
- Migration and Disaster Recovery of VMs from on-premise vCenter Server to a vCloud site.
- Migration of vApps and VMs between two Virtual Data Centers that belong to a single Cloud Director Organization.
- Replication and recovery of vApps and VMs between Cloud Director sites.
- With the Cloud Director solution, service providers can build secure, multi-tenant private clouds by pooling infrastructure resources into virtual data centers and exposing them to users through web-based portals and programmatic interfaces as fully automated, catalog-based services.
- For production deployments, when you can deploy and configure dedicated Cloud Director Availability Replicator appliance or appliances, it exposes the low-level HBR primitives as REST APIs.
- A management service operating on the vCenter Server level. It understands the vCenter Server level concepts for starting the replication workflow for the virtual machines. It must have TCP access to the Lookup Service and all the Cloud Director Availability Replicator appliances.
- Provides the main interface for the cloud and on-prem replication operations. It understands the Cloud Director level concepts and works with vApps and virtual machines.
- The embedded Cloud Director Availability Portal provides tenants (Cloud Director Availability Portal) and service providers (Cloud Director Availability Service Provider Portal) with a graphic user interface to facilitate the management of the VMware Cloud Director Availability solution. It also provides overall system and workload information.
- A single appliance that contains the following services:
- Cloud Director Availability Replication Manager
- Cloud Director Availability vApp Replication Manager with embedded Cloud Director Availability Portal
- The PSC provides common infrastructure services to the vSphere environment, including licensing, certificate management, and authentication with VMware vCenter Single Sign-On.
- Simplifies provider networking setup by channeling all incoming and outgoing traffic for a site through a single point - the Cloud Director Availability Tunnel appliance. The traffic is both management and monitoring for the replication data (LWD traffic).
- You must set an IP and port in the local site that is reachable for remote sites and forward it to the private address of the Cloud Director Availability Tunnel appliance, port 8048, for example, by using destination network address translation(DNAT).
- Cloud Director Availability Appliance for Tenants (On-premise Sites), which contains the binaries for the VMware Cloud Director Availability appliance.
Take Your Cloud to the Next Level
Focus on high-value cloud services and solutions, and less on the complexities of managing infrastructure and custom tooling.
Managed Service Provider
Save costs by leveraging VMware as-a-service offerings without the need to run your own data center, and benefit from faster time-to-market.